Thursday, August 5, 2010

Breakfast du Jour

I'm reading belle du Jour's blog on my iPhone on the train commute these days. I know, seven years too late and all that. Why am I reading it on the train? Mostly because it's not the sort of thing one reads at work. I wish my blog was that interesting, or even that well written.

It turns out now she's a pediatric cancer expert, wow! There's a quote from Polanski's Chinatown I'm reminded of;

"Politicians, ugly buildings, and whores all get respectable if they last long enough."

Still, If I ever met her I might instantly jump in to condescending moral high tones. Not the finger wagging sort of thing, "think of what your doing to society blah blah blah. More the, "well that's your opinion on your body and you're entitled to it; unfortunately you're a brasser and your opinion doesn't count."

Not really. I think there would be a "Brooke, if you were stuck for cash why didn't you write to me? I would have given you sacks of gold for nothing!" Santa Claus type fantasy. But then we'd be all the poorer for not having read her mucky blog. By the way I'm not entirely sure that this isn't still an elaborate (double) hoax. I mean it's perfect timing when ones book sales start to fall to finish on the conjurers "prestige". It doesn't matter anyway; I can never tell the difference between the truth and a good story.

I'm curious about two things. I wonder would she have turned to prostitution had she finished her PhD on time. Reading her diary she doesn't strike me as the sort who would drag her heels on writing up, I might be wrong but bare in mind the caliber of her writing. I also wonder why she stopped. I mean to say, if the lifestyle and the money was so great, why not keep going. She stopped after all long before she was outed. Maybe she'll get the that at some point later in her blog. A lot of criticism leveled at Dr Magnanti is that she glamorises prostitution. I'm not sure she does, her blog makes me want to be a blogger, not a prostitute, but then that's just me.

Still, unless I want to end up on the game; I'd better get a move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment