Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Poached Egg on Toast

There's little point in detailing how to cook this. If you haven't poached an egg; look it up. If you haven't made toast; stop reading and ask your valet (or maid) to show you how he (or she) makes your toast.

Eggs should be soft. This is an indisputable fact. If only because everyone is in a rush in the morning.

This breakfast is good if a little light. Good for those who want to lose some weight as you get all the flare of a cooked breakfast with protien and slow release carbohydrates. However, I did start to feel hungry again two hours later, and that was with an extra slice of toast on the way out the door.

Perhaps the solution to bulking up this breakfast looks suspiciously like Eggs Benedict. I'm not going to make Hollandaise sauce on a weekday morning, that would take too long and generally sets the day up for failure from the off. I might make it the night before or get it out of a jar. I'm not sure about either though as the fresh tang of Hollandaise is part of its appeal.

3 comments:

  1. I love poached eggs on toast. It's light like you say, Cosmic, but only seems to work with the most absorbant of breads. A lightly toasted thin brown seems to work best. By far my favourite poached-egg-on-toast moment is the presentation. Side-by-side like two drunken eyes; the ideal yoke is one that miraclously remains within it's lightly coagulated confines when all common sense suggests it should be spilling out onto my plate.
    My least favourite part I (don't) hear you ask? Not having the time to wash the plate before I rush out the door. 6pm and I'm greeted by egg-cement, the likes of which BP could put to good use. Now there's a thought.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absorbant bread was a point raised by Griff Griffington aswell. Since yolk is the the soul of any egg dish; anything that captures it is of paramount importance. He suggested a potato farl.

    ReplyDelete