Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Double Poached Eggs, Two Slices of White Bread Toast, and an Inch and a Half of Water in the Laboratory

Apparently there was a leak in the lab last night. It wasn't discovered until six in the morning by the cleaners. They mopped up an inch an a half of water from the lab corridor, two professors' offices, an office full of postdocs (who sadly couldn't swim) and our other lab. They did a good job. There's almost no evidence of the leak except for damp carpets in the offices and a few puddles underneath machines that they couldn't wet-vac under.

Luckily, we keep all the cables off the floor. I.e. there was a safety audit a few weeks ago and we were told to tie the cables up off of the floor.

As for my 'Adam and Eve on a Raft,' it was hearty and satisfying, although I did overcook one egg. No silly fruit nonsense this time. The toast was white bread, which is girlie bread, but I'm confident enough that it won't turn me into a homosexual.

It's easy to cook eggs; it's very easy to overcook eggs. You need to keep an eye on the time. I overcooked an egg on Saturday when I had a poached egg on a potato farl. An interesting variation on last Wednesday's Poached Egg on Toast. The potato bread was recommended by Dr Griff Griffington (in private communication). I wasn't sure if potato bread could be toasted in a toaster, since I've only ever heard of it being fried. It toasted well, although it took a little longer than wholemeal bread.

There are several methods for cooking poached eggs. This is a massive over complication of one of the simplest things to cook. If you're tempted to buy a fancy egg poaching device then perhaps you should consider saving your money and purchasing a big dashing girl's blouse to wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment